Sunday, October 6, 2013
Disneyland Hotel opens:
In 1954, Walt Disney approached Texas oilman and television pioneer Jack Wrather with the idea of building an upsacle]hotel for Guests to Walt's planned theme park. An agreement was reached to place the hotel on 60 acres of leased land near the exit of what would be the Disneyland parking lot. The Disneyland Hotel welcomed its first Guests on Oct. 5,1955, nearly three months after Disneyland opened. Just seven of the hotel's 104 rooms were ready for occupancy the first day.
Expansion began almost immediately and would continue for decades. In the early 60's, a helicopter landing pad and 40-acre golf center were added. In 1961, the extended monorail opened, connecting the hotel directly to Disneyland. By 1978, the hotel had grown to a complex of three towers with more than 1,400 rooms, a marina and convention center.
In 1988, The Walt Disney Company purchased the Disneyland hotel, and in 1999, the last remaining original buildings were removed in preparation for the expansion of the Disneyland Resort. In 2011, the hotel's latest renovation was completed, including the transformation of the three towers and 975 Guests rooms, lobby,convention center, pools and the addition of Tangaroa Terrace restaurant and Traders Sam's-Enchanted Tiki Bar.
To cool...Dr Lee